Since we’re battling colds and the weather is intimidating, this will be short…and we have 20 minutes left of Olympus Has Fallen to watch. We’re not quite sure who gets out alive. This one makes White House Down seem like Citizen Kane. Do you hear me complaining? There’s something comforting about action movie tropes:
1. A child will be in danger (not cool, but the successful rescue is predictable, thank goodness)
2. Bullets fly and never hit the hero except maybe in the arm.
3. The VP doesn’t exist.
4. First Lady dies.
5. Just when you think the fictitious Prez has died, he lives!
6. The nukes are always activated.
7. Just one guy saves the White House while a room full of people watch.
8. If Morgan Freeman is in it, he will say something pivotal that will give you chills.
9. You can count on many unintentionally homoerotic scenes.
And the big lesson is that you don’t want to mess with the guy from 300.