Two weeks have passed since my last day in the office, and, let me tell you, I’m glad to be here today! Though a home-body, even I need to see people a few times a week. The holidays are over (and FYI, only one fit of uncontrollable sobbing this year) and I’m so ready to work hard in 2014. So here’s my first list of editor resolutions for the year. I will…
1. Keep my desk clean, not cluttered.
2. Make friends with the editing software we use. I’m not a fan, but it’s reality, everyone’s using it and the thing saves trees.
3. Tweet. Tweet. Tweet.
4. Use the phone and communicate more often. Answer phone calls within 24-hour period. Stop claiming to have a phone disorder.
5. Walk around the office every half hour. It’s not all about the screen.
6. Not slack off on updating complicated chart of sales data. Getting information is a priority.
7. Answer submissions within three months.
8. Deal with heinous tasks (the shame of hoarding submissions for over 3 months, filling out forms, revisions).
9. Avoid milk chocolate covered graham crackers from Starbucks downstairs. Chocolate turns me into a crab within half an hour of consumption. Maybe in emergencies with #2, #6, #8 problems.
10. Always take time out to read.