First of all, Happy New Year! Second of all, I’m so embarrassed for not posting sooner. I got caught in an avalanche of manuscripts. Now that it’s a new year, I vow to write once a week and invite some of my colleagues to join me on this site. The people I work with have a lot of wisdom about writing romance.
I don’t know about you, but the last few months of 2012 were
a mess challenging for me. I was dizzy from all the running around, the loss of sanity during Hurricane Sandy, then the elections, and the shopping for the holidays and the holidays themselves. In a sheer Calgon-take-me-away moment, I did a 500-piece cat puzzle on our rarely used exercise mat. Behold my humiliation!
Now I’m back to reading romance. The dust is clearing and I’m ready to work on good books. Here are my resolutions:
1. Read at least one proposal a day. (Oh wait, that didn’t happen the last couple of days)
2. Not get an ulcer over deadlines.
3. Stop making little charts for deadlines, then copy them over. This wastes time.
4. Do one heinous task a day — write a hard revision letter, answer an email that will take energy.
5. Not procrastinate by going down to Starbucks (Cranberry bark bar was a mistake).
6. Tweet about the books I love.
7. Watch less TV.
DVR setting for The Bachelor on 1/7/13 begs to differ.
8. Remember that I work for and with human beings, i.e. make more attempts to communicate with others.
9. Not spend the whole 8 hours at my desk since this replicates experience of hangover (sensitivity to light, inability to move, screen nausea)
10. Have good editor posture.
11. Take secret chocolate stash to the kitchen and share with colleagues.
What are some of your resolutions for 2013?